"Don't be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows." Jesus in Matthew 10:34
Yeah, I know I changed the order of the verses but I find it interesting that these two statements are so close to each other. They are part of a larger passage where Jesus warns his disciples of all the horrid, painful and scary things they were going to encounter.
- You will be arrested and beaten.
- You will face antagonistic politicians.
- Your parents, siblings, children will turn against you and try to kill you.
- You will be hated by everyone.
- You will have to keep running from these enemies.
- You will be called Satan.
It's a formidable list but "...don't be afraid of these things. I see the sparrows fall and you are worth more than many sparrows." I find that comforting because if I don't need to be afraid of these things, I surely don't need to be afraid of the lesser consequences of doing what God calls me to.
Thank you God for the promise of your protection and love.