Quirks, Queries and Commentary—Genesis 17-26
- Sarah was 127 years old when she died. Isaac was 37 years old that year and Abraham was 137. (Genesis 23:1; 17:17, 18; 21:5)Ishmael was 14 years old when Isaac was born. (16:16)
- Abraham had eight sons in all. The other six were the sons of Abraham’s second wife, Keturah. Their names were Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. (25:1, 2) The Midianites were another nation that oppressed Israel many generations later.
- Abraham was 175 years old when he died. (25:7) Isaac would have been 75 years old and Ishmael 89.
- Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebekah. (25:20)
- Isaac was 60 years old when Jacob and Esau were born. (That means that he and Rebekah were married for 20 years before they had any children. That’s a long time!)
- Since Isaac was 75 years old when Abraham died, Jacob and Esau would have been 15. Did they know their grandfather Abraham?
- Esau was 40 years old when he married two Hittite women. Isaac would have been 100. Abraham had been dead for 25 years. (26:34)